“And now, O Israel, what does the LORD your God ask of you
but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to love
him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all
your soul, and to observe the LORD’s decrees that I am giving
you today for your own good?” (Deuteronomy 10:12-13).
God doesn’t change. He wants the same things for us today as
he wanted from Israel way back then:
1. “Fear the LORD your God.” We can’t be flippant or too
familiar with him. He is our God and our judge. He deserves our
respect and fear.
2. “Walk in all his ways.” To walk means we are going
somewhere – to his kingdom. We need to check our direction.
Pray and read his direction book, the Bible, and walk in his
3. “Love him.” God created us to respond to him. Free will
means we can choose to love God or reject him. We need to
choose to love him.
4. “Serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all
your soul.” Make the effort to serve the LORD. Work for him.
There is always plenty to do in our communities in caring for
one another. Not only should we make the effort, but we should
do it willingly with a positive attitude.
5. “Observe the LORD’s decrees that I am giving you today for
your own good.” Obey his instructions because he knows best
and his instructions to us have our best interests at heart.
God wants five simple things from us. They are not hard, but
they do demand our all.