What are the main events?
- Creation – God created the world and its inhabitants in 6 days and rested on the 7th day
- Adam and Eve – first man and woman, lived in the Garden of Eden until they broke God’s law bringing the curse of death on the world
- Noah – built an ark to escape the great flood sent to the earth by God to destroy its wicked population
- Abraham – first of the patriarchs, he followed God’s call to live in the land of Canaan and was given great promises about the future
- Isaac – Abraham’s son of promise, sacrificed to God at a young age by his father, but saved at the last minute
- Jacob – Isaac’s son, himself father of 12 sons who were to become the 12 tribes of Israel
- Joseph – Jacob’s favourite son, sold as a slave to Egypt by his brothers, eventually became prime minister of Egypt and saved the people from starvation in a great famine
- Jacob and Joseph reunited in Egypt and the Israelites settled there and made it their home
A book of beginnings:
- Beginning of life on earth
- Origin of language at the Tower of Babel
- Beginning of sin and death
- Beginning of the nation of Israel
- First promise of a Saviour
Jesus in Genesis:
- Sin brings death but a sacrifice of an animal can cover the sin.
And the LORD God made for Adam and for his wife garments of skins and clothed them. – Genesis 3:21
Abraham said, “God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering, my son.” – Genesis 22:8
- Ultimately we need a Saviour, a sinless one, to die for us to cover sin once and for all.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel. – Genesis 3:15
And your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies, and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice. – Genesis 22:17-18
Now the promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring. It does not say, “And to offsprings,” referring to many, but referring to one, “And to your offspring,” who is Christ. – Galatians 3:16
The promises to Abraham:
- God made promises to Abraham.
And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed. – Genesis 12:2-3
- Believers can be spiritual Israel and have these promises extended to them as well.
And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s offspring, heirs according to promise. – Galatians 3:29
Next time: Bitesize Book of Exodus